Saturday, February 16, 2008

For the love of bread....and summer

I mentioned the other day that I go to a local market near my home, Clintonville Community Market. One of the reasons I venture over there is that they have fabulous bread from Eleni Christina Bakery...sometimes at half price if it's a day or two old. Anyway, today I found some basil foccacia and was thinking about how much I miss summer! So...I went back to a summer staple...grilled bread with garlic and olive oil topped with some grilled tomatoes and blue cheese. Yes, the tomatoes were a bit winter like, but it still reminded me of SUMMER! Most importantly, I fired up the gas grill...yes, gas grill not charcoal...but that even entailed replacing the starter...which I did sans husband! How about those "apples"? Peace and pray for summer. :)

2 comments:

JenOP said...

When you grill tomatoes, how do you do it so they don't fall thru? I would like mine sort of "well done" and I'm afraid they'd get so soft they'd fall through the grates. Ideas?

SarahE said...

I'd use a basket like the one you might use to grill fish.