Thursday, February 14, 2008

Valentine's Day Quiche

Quiche is a really easy dish and something that I often have ingredients for on a regular basis. Also, you can "mix and match" cheese, veggies, meats etc. Tonight I used swiss and cheddar along with some ham and green onions. I also don't make my own crust, but I prefer to use Marie Callender's crust which is made with vegetable shortening.

Ham and Green Onion Quiche
(Adaptation from Paula Deen)
5 large eggs, beaten
1 cup heavy cream or half and half
Salt and pepper
1/4 cups chopped green onions
1 cup diced ham
1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
1 (9-inch) refrigerated pie crust, fitted to a 9-inch glass pie plate ~ prick pie crust a few times with fork

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Combine the eggs, cream, salt, and pepper in a food processor or blender. Layer the ham and onions, and cheese in the bottom of the pie crust, then pour the egg mixture on top. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes until the egg mixture is set.

2 comments:

JenOP said...

I love to make quiche for a few reasons: first, it works for any meal of the day, second, I have a recipe that yields two deep dish quiches so we eat one and freeze one, which is the third thing: they freeze really well after baking!

JenOP said...

Oh, and I like the store brands of crust just fine . . .the roll out kind found in the refrigerated dough section, not the frozen kind!