Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Easy Weeknight Pasta

Dinner tonight needed to be super easy...I worked late and I had defrosted a pound of ground beef that needed to be utilized. I didn't want to do just pasta and sauce, so I got a little creative.




Ingredients:
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 pinch oregano, thyme or whatever else you think sounds good
1 lb ground beef
1 24oz. jar pasta sauce
salt and pepper to taste

Splash of wine ...maybe
Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
Add carrots, beef and spices -- saute until beef is cooked through. Drain fat if necessary.
Add jar of sauce.
Cook, covered over a med heat for about 20 minutes. Serve with your favorite pasta. Top with freshly grated parmesan....a staple in my house and a few chiffonades of basil. (I have been barely keeping a little plant alive over my sink this winter. I just love the smell of chopped fresh basil!)

Note: When I do my weekly grocery shopping, I always buy a pound of ground round and replenish if out of sauce, carrots, onions, garlic, or celery.

No comments: