Monday, January 21, 2008

Sweet Basil! This book was good!



Every once in a while, I will come across a book that really changes my perspective on life, relationships, raising kids, work etc. Last winter, I read The Long Tail by Chris Anderson and I have been talking about it ever since. (Thank you, Auntie Kathy) It is technically a "business" book, but really it's about everything we consume and that the world is becoming a "long tail". Think about a graph with a really long tail across the X axis. The best example in the book is iTunes -- before internet music sales, stores sold the most popular songs based on shelf space. Today, shelf space is non-existent and you can buy virtually any music you desire regardless of demand. The book gets into lots of other areas, e.g, education. It's a quick read and I highly recommend it!

No comments: